• $ 1.7
  • € 2.0042
  • ₽ 0.022139
  • ₺ 0.0388
  • £ 2.2922

AQAP ordered Said Kouachi to carry out an attack

AQAP ordered Said Kouachi to carry out an attack
12.01.2015 12:30
The United States is now working on the assumption that Charlie Hebdo attacker Said Kouachi met American terrorist cleric Anwar al-Awlaki at some point in Yemen and received orders from al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) to carry out an attack, a U.S. official tells CNN.

The official said Kouachi's motivation for waiting so long -- possibly since 2011 -- to launch an attack was not clear.

U.S. officials Sunday said American authorities don't have evidence yet directly linking AQAP to specifically ordering the Paris attack last week at the offices of the satirical magaine. "We don't have credible information, at least as yet, to indicate who was responsible, who sponsored this act. That is clearly one of the things that we have to make a determination of," Attorney General Eric Holder told CNN's Gloria Borger on "State of the Union."

French security agencies had been monitoring Said Kouachi and his brother, Cherif, but stopped months before the two carried out the attack that left 12 people dead. The French monitoring faded despite a previous tip-off from American intelligence agencies that one of them had likely trained with al Qaeda in Yemen, a French news magazine reported Saturday.

Said Kouachi is suspected of slipping off for terror training in Yemen during a trip he made with another French national to Oman between July 25 and August 15 in 2011, according to multiple French officials who spoke to L'Express national security reporter Eric Pelletier. Pelletier shared the details of his reporting with CNN.

U.S. agencies developed intelligence suggesting a high probability that Said Kouachi slipped across to Yemen during the trip to Oman and informed their French counterparts, according to Pelletier's French sources.

The French immediately responded by placing Said Kouachi under surveillance in late November 2011 by issuing a "Fiche de Surveillance" -- a surveillance notice, multiple French officials told Pelletier. The surveillance was conducted by both DGSI -- France's domestic security service -- and later by the judicial police. Wiretaps were authorized for his cell phones and that of his brother Cherif.

A U.S. official told CNN last week that the initial assessment was that Said Kouachi's 2011 travel lasted three or more months and that he is believed to have trained with al Qaeda in Yemen during that period.

But the surveillance of Said was terminated in June 2014 because French security services judged him no longer dangerous, Pelletier was told. The surveillance of Cherif Koachi stopped earlier -- at the end of 2013. Cherif's phone calls suggested he had disengaged with violent extremism and was focusing on counterfeiting clothing and shoes.

French intelligence authorities believe there is a strong probability Cherif also traveled to Yemen for a short trip in 2011.

A U.S. official told CNN they are still corroborating information that Cherif also went to Yemen, but they have no reason to doubt the French government. Pelletier's sources said Cherif's wife told French authorities after the Paris attack that her husband traveled to Oman together with Said in the summer of 2011, but French security services have yet not been able to confirm the brothers made the trip together.

(CNN)
 
ANN.Az
Similar news
Similar news
Eight killed after vehicle carrying Chinese tourists sinks into Lake Baikal
World 17:30
Eight killed after vehicle carrying Chinese tourists sinks into Lake Baikal
Iran’s oil minister: Oil and gas cooperation with the US is possible
World 17:00
Iran’s oil minister: Oil and gas cooperation with the US is possible
Iran, Russia FMs discuss Iran nuclear issue by phone
World 15:30
Iran, Russia FMs discuss Iran nuclear issue by phone
Georgia says new Azerbaijan-Armenia routes will not replace it
World 18:34
Georgia says new Azerbaijan-Armenia routes will not replace it
St Petersburg official proposes ban on migrant workers in retail
World 18:00
St Petersburg official proposes ban on migrant workers in retail
Zelenskiy says Washington may seek his replacement
World 17:30
Zelenskiy says Washington may seek his replacement
U.S. could sustain weeks-long strikes on Iran, WSJ reports
World 17:00
U.S. could sustain weeks-long strikes on Iran, WSJ reports
Peskov says Kremlin faces no problems running Telegram channel
World 16:30
Peskov says Kremlin faces no problems running Telegram channel
The US sends its largest air deployment to the Middle East since 2003
World 15:30
The US sends its largest air deployment to the Middle East since 2003
Anews TV

Our official Youtube channel

Subscribe