• $ 1.7
  • € 2.0167
  • ₽ 0.022015
  • ₺ 0.0389
  • £ 2.314

Bags, strollers, unregistered runners not welcome at this year's Boston Marathon

Bags, strollers, unregistered runners not welcome at this year's Boston Marathon
28.02.2014 15:00
As part of revamped security following last year's deadly bombings, the Boston Marathon has banned various items for the 2014 race, including bags and strollers.

The bombs placed in backpacks exploded near the finish line last year, killing three people.Backpacks, handbags, suitcases and similar items are prohibited from entering any marathon venues this year.So are containers with more than 1 liter of liquid, costumes covering the face, and bulky clothes such as vests with pockets.Runners cannot take the items anywhere near the 26-mile course, organizer Boston Athletic Association said in a statement Wednesday.Marathoners will be allowed to carry clear, plastic bags provided by the organizers. They can also run with small fanny packs for medication and cell phones, and fuel belts that hold a bottle under one liter.Large flags or signs bigger than 11 inches x 17 inches are also banned from marathon venues. Marathon venues include the start and finish areas, the course, athletes' village and areas where official events are held.Unregistered runners and cyclists, who jump into the race along various points, are not welcome this year, either."We are aware that many people want to participate in some way in this year's Boston Marathon as a display of support," the statement said. "But we ask that those who are not official participants to refrain from entering the course for the safety of the runners and themselves." On April 15 last year, double bombings hit the Boston Marathon, which attracts elite runners from all over the world. They exploded within 12 seconds of each other. Three people died and 264 others were injured.Two brothers, Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, are suspected of planting the homemade bombs near the finish line.The latter faces a potential death penalty and appears in court in November. His brother was killed in a police shootout shortly after the bombings.The 118th Boston Marathon will be held on April 21.Tsarnaev goes on trial in November(CNN)ANN.Az

Similar news
Similar news
UK government may ban social media access for under-16s from 2026 – The Times
World 12:30
UK government may ban social media access for under-16s from 2026 – The Times
Saudi firm signs deal to buy Lukoil assets, pending U.S. approval – Reuters
World 14:00
Saudi firm signs deal to buy Lukoil assets, pending U.S. approval – Reuters
Ban on Russian-language literature in Ukraine
World 13:30
Ban on Russian-language literature in Ukraine
Georgia warns EU against sanctioning Kulevi port over Middle Corridor impact
World 12:30
Georgia warns EU against sanctioning Kulevi port over Middle Corridor impact
Update from Maduro
World 11:00
Update from Maduro
Prince Harry tries to prevent release of Meghan Markle’s new book
World 10:40
Prince Harry tries to prevent release of Meghan Markle’s new book
Russia orders block on WhatsApp in messaging app crackdown
World 18:00
Russia orders block on WhatsApp in messaging app crackdown
Syria says it has taken control of al-Tanf base vacated by US troops
World 17:30
Syria says it has taken control of al-Tanf base vacated by US troops
Google may also be blocked in Russia
World 17:00
Google may also be blocked in Russia
Anews TV

Our official Youtube channel

Subscribe