• $ 1.7
  • € 2.0167
  • ₽ 0.022015
  • ₺ 0.0389
  • £ 2.314

Israel seeks changes to Gaza truce plan, complicating talks

Israel seeks changes to Gaza truce plan, complicating talks
26.07.2024 09:30
Israel is seeking changes to a plan for a Gaza truce and the release of hostages by Hamas, complicating a final deal to halt nine months of combat that has devastated the enclave, according to a Western official and a Palestinian and two Egyptian sources, reported from Reuters.

Israel says that displaced Palestinians should be screened as they return to the enclave's north when the ceasefire begins, retreating from an agreement to allow civilians who fled south to freely return home, the four sources told Reuters.

Israeli negotiators "want a vetting mechanism for civilian populations returning to the north of Gaza, where they fear these populations could support” Hamas fighters who remain entrenched there, said the Western official.

The Palestinian militant group rejected the new Israeli demand, according to the Palestinian and Egyptian sources.

Another sticking point, the Egyptian sources said, was over Israel's demand to retain control of Gaza's border with Egypt, which Cairo dismissed as outside a framework for a final deal accepted by the foes.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office, the White House and Egypt's foreign ministry did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Israel's demands.

"Netanyahu is still stalling. There is no change in his stance so far," said Hamas senior official Sami Abu Zuhri, who did not comment directly on Israel's demands.

Word of the new sticking points came as US President Joe Biden pressed for a ceasefire in talks in Washington on Thursday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on reaching a final deal.





www.anews.az
Similar news
Similar news
New protests reported in Iran
World 15:30
New protests reported in Iran
Telegram blocks over 235,000 channels and groups
World 15:00
Telegram blocks over 235,000 channels and groups
UK government may ban social media access for under-16s from 2026 – The Times
World 12:30
UK government may ban social media access for under-16s from 2026 – The Times
Saudi firm signs deal to buy Lukoil assets, pending U.S. approval – Reuters
World 14:00
Saudi firm signs deal to buy Lukoil assets, pending U.S. approval – Reuters
Ban on Russian-language literature in Ukraine
World 13:30
Ban on Russian-language literature in Ukraine
Georgia warns EU against sanctioning Kulevi port over Middle Corridor impact
World 12:30
Georgia warns EU against sanctioning Kulevi port over Middle Corridor impact
Update from Maduro
World 11:00
Update from Maduro
Prince Harry tries to prevent release of Meghan Markle’s new book
World 10:40
Prince Harry tries to prevent release of Meghan Markle’s new book
Russia orders block on WhatsApp in messaging app crackdown
World 18:00
Russia orders block on WhatsApp in messaging app crackdown
Anews TV

Our official Youtube channel

Subscribe