• $ 1.7
  • € 1.8346
  • ₽ 2.0118
  • ₺ 0.0448
  • £ 2.196

Saudi women drivers: Leading female campaigner stopped

Saudi women drivers: Leading female campaigner stopped
28.05.2020 22:59
A leading Saudi campaigner for giving women the right to drive has been stopped by police as she was driving through the capital, Riyadh, BBC reported.Photos of Aziza al Yousef were posted on Friday morning as she was seen at the wheel.Her fellow activist, Eman al Nafjan, took the pictures.On her Twitter page, Ms Nafjan provided a running account of their drive, saying they bought a bunch of bananas without anyone batting an eyelid.She posted a photo of them filling up at a petrol station and expressed her satisfaction that this all seemed to be treated as an everyday occurrence.But then they were spotted and reported to the police, who stopped them. Aziza al Yousef messaged the BBC to say that they had been taken to a police station.Both were asked to sign a pledge that they would not drive again. Ms Nafjan refused to.On Twitter, while still with the police, she said that if she was asked to call her male guardian, she would simply say that she was her own guardian. But her guardian -- known as a mahram -- was called against her wishes.Fresh hopeThe two women were then released. Ms Nafjan described her companion as the bravest and most courageous of drivers. It was only two days ago that Aziza al Yousef -- with another activist, Hala al-Dosari -- had a meeting with the Interior Minister, Prince Mohammed bin Nayef. The prince has long been one of the most powerful men in the country and is seen as a possible future king -- representing a younger generation than the current leaders. Activists said the meeting was positive and the minister sympathetic.No-one expected this to herald any big change in the immediate future. Reform is a gradual process in Saudi Arabia and there remain powerful factions opposed to lifting the driving ban on women.But the meeting came after activists relaunched a campaign several months ago with the aim of making the idea of women driving in Saudi Arabia a normal part of life.They originally set 26 October as a day for women -- with the support of Saudi men -- to take to the wheel. Dozens did, but the authorities made clear they would not accept a mass flouting of the ban.Since then, activists have recast the campaign around the non-existent day of November 31 -- a sign that it would continue indefinitely. Several women have been driving and posting videos of themselves since.The meeting with Prince Mohammed bin Nayef had been seen as possibly offering fresh hope that the authorities might be taking a softer stance.The brief detention of Aziza al Yousef and Eman al Nafjan is an abrupt reminder that nothing can be taken for granted in Saudi Arabia -- and that a shift one way often only signals a shift in the exact opposite direction a few days later.ANN.Az
Similar news
Similar news
Trump says he thinks Iran is game for direct nuclear talks
World 10:00
Trump says he thinks Iran is game for direct nuclear talks
IMF's Georgieva says US tariffs represent significant risk to global outlook
World 09:30
IMF's Georgieva says US tariffs represent significant risk to global outlook
Netanyahu may visit US next week, Trump says
World 09:12
Netanyahu may visit US next week, Trump says
Economy Ministry on Trump tariffs: Challenging, not critical
World 20:35
Economy Ministry on Trump tariffs: Challenging, not critical
Armenia may tighten penalties for those evading military service
World 17:00
Armenia may tighten penalties for those evading military service
Pashinyan says he received his driver’s license without taking the exam
World 16:00
Pashinyan says he received his driver’s license without taking the exam
Russia is not surprised by Trump's comments on oil tariffs, Ryabkov says
World 14:52
Russia is not surprised by Trump's comments on oil tariffs, Ryabkov says
U.S. tariffs to also apply to Ferrari cars ordered months ago
World 13:24
U.S. tariffs to also apply to Ferrari cars ordered months ago
Turkey to step up diplomatic push to reinstate Gaza ceasefire, Erdogan says
World 11:00
Turkey to step up diplomatic push to reinstate Gaza ceasefire, Erdogan says
Anews TV

Our official Youtube channel

Subscribe