• $ 1.7
  • € 2.0166
  • ₽ 0.022092
  • ₺ 0.0389
  • £ 2.3187

Ukraine accuses Russian troops of attacking its forces

Ukraine accuses Russian troops of attacking its forces
21.01.2015 12:00
The Ukrainian military has accused Russia of attacking its forces as fighting in eastern Ukraine spreads towards the Russian border.

Military spokesman Andriy Lysenko said regular Russian units had attacked in the Luhansk region, much of which is under pro-Russian rebel control.

Heavy fighting was under way near the town of Slovyanoserbsk, he said.

Russia denies sending troops into Ukraine but acknowledges "volunteers" are fighting for the rebels.

There has been no independent confirmation of the latest Ukrainian allegation.

Meanwhile Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko cut short his visit to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, to return home in view of the "worsening situation" in the east, his spokesman said.

The Vienna-based Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), which has monitors deployed in Ukraine, has called for an immediate ceasefire.

More than 4,800 people have been killed and some 1.2 million have fled since the rebels took control of parts of Luhansk and Donetsk in April.

Fighting flared up again last week as the rebels fought the Ukrainian government for control of the ruined airport at Donetsk.

Two civilians were killed in the rebel-held city on Tuesday when a shell exploded at a bus stop.

A rebel rocket launcher stands beside a cemetery in Donetsk, 20 January

(BBC)

ANN.Az
Similar news
Similar news
Garegin II declines to testify
World 16:00
Garegin II declines to testify
Iran-U.S. talks begin in Geneva
World 15:00
Iran-U.S. talks begin in Geneva
Pashinyan registers marriage, wife says civil union formalised
World 11:30
Pashinyan registers marriage, wife says civil union formalised
New protests reported in Iran
World 15:30
New protests reported in Iran
Telegram blocks over 235,000 channels and groups
World 15:00
Telegram blocks over 235,000 channels and groups
UK government may ban social media access for under-16s from 2026 – The Times
World 12:30
UK government may ban social media access for under-16s from 2026 – The Times
Saudi firm signs deal to buy Lukoil assets, pending U.S. approval – Reuters
World 14:00
Saudi firm signs deal to buy Lukoil assets, pending U.S. approval – Reuters
Ban on Russian-language literature in Ukraine
World 13:30
Ban on Russian-language literature in Ukraine
Georgia warns EU against sanctioning Kulevi port over Middle Corridor impact
World 12:30
Georgia warns EU against sanctioning Kulevi port over Middle Corridor impact
Anews TV

Our official Youtube channel

Subscribe