• $
  • £

NATO eyes extending Jens Stoltenberg’s term amid divisions over successor

NATO eyes extending Jens Stoltenberg’s term amid divisions over successor
14.06.2023 12:30
NATO leaders are leaning towards extending Jens Stoltenberg’s term as secretary-general amid mounting pessimism around the military alliance agreeing a successor ahead of next month’s summit in Lithuania,  reported from the Financial 

Stoltenberg, who met Joe Biden in Washington on June 13, has led the alliance since October 2014. While he has publicly stated that he has "no intention of seeking” to extend his mandate, the former Norwegian prime minister has not unequivocally ruled out continuing.

"In the interests of continuity, it makes sense,” said one senior western diplomat who has discussed the possibility of an extension with him. "He would do it. He is a man of duty.”

The intensifying debates over who should succeed Stoltenberg, whose current mandate ends in October, comes at a testing time for NATO. Russia is showing increased belligerence towards the west and has occupied about a fifth of Ukraine, there are internal divisions over Kyiv’s future relationship with NATO and China is rising as a global military power.

That complex backdrop, and the difficulty of finding a candidate that satisfies all 31 alliance members, mean that the possibility of asking Stoltenberg to extend his mandate for a fourth time has emerged as a short-term compromise that delays the decision to next year, officials involved in the discussions told the Financial Times.

"Stoltenberg has been an excellent secretary-general, and I don’t see the point in rocking the boat right now,” said a NATO foreign minister.

While the US is the most important power in NATO and an American always serves as the alliance’s military commander, the secretary-general has always come from a European member state.

The option to extend Stoltenberg comes after bids by Danish prime minister Mette Frederiksen and British defense secretary Ben Wallace have so far failed to win unanimous backing in the face of a wide variety of demands from member states.

Many capitals have voiced support for selecting the alliance’s first female secretary-general, while others say a nominee from eastern Europe would reflect the region’s growing heft and the importance of the war in Ukraine.

Most countries, including the US and most of the alliance’s largest members, believe the role should go to a current or former president or prime minister, multiple officials said. The US is looking for a candidate who will garner widespread support, believing a current or former head of government has the best chance of securing unanimity.





www.anews.az
Similar news
Similar news
Moscow urges Yerevan to choose between EAEU and EU
World 16:30
Moscow urges Yerevan to choose between EAEU and EU
Iranian media says Tehran submitted new proposal to Pakistan
World 17:00
Iranian media says Tehran submitted new proposal to Pakistan
Armenian authorities launch probe into alleged assassination plot against Pashinyan
World 16:30
Armenian authorities launch probe into alleged assassination plot against Pashinyan

Russian ambassador summoned to Moldovan Foreign Ministry over UAV incident
World 16:00
Russian ambassador summoned to Moldovan Foreign Ministry over UAV incident
Kremlin: Peace process on Ukraine has been suspended
World 15:30
Kremlin: Peace process on Ukraine has been suspended
Trump to discuss possible military action against Iran
World 11:29
Trump to discuss possible military action against Iran
Cruise ship with hantavirus cases to be disinfected in Rotterdam
World 11:00
Cruise ship with hantavirus cases to be disinfected in Rotterdam
Hezbollah says it disabled 48 Israeli tanks over past month
World 09:30
Hezbollah says it disabled 48 Israeli tanks over past month
Trump says he could consider 20-year freeze on Iran’s nuclear programme
World 17:00
Trump says he could consider 20-year freeze on Iran’s nuclear programme
Anews TV

Our official Youtube channel

Subscribe