• $ 1.7
  • € 1.97
  • ₽ 0.021803
  • ₺ 0.04
  • £ 2.2506

Islamic State: Egyptian Christians held in Libya 'killed'

Islamic State: Egyptian Christians held in Libya 'killed'
17.02.2015 13:00
A video has emerged showing the beheadings purportedly of 21 Egyptian Christians who had been kidnapped by Islamic State (IS) militants in Libya.

The footage shows a group wearing orange overalls, being forced to the ground and then decapitated.

Egypt reserves the right to respond in any way it sees fit, its President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has said.

IS militants claim to have carried out several attacks in Libya, which is in effect without a government.

However, with many armed groups operating in Libya, it is not clear how much power IS actually wields.

National mourning

The kidnapped Egyptian workers, all Coptic Christians, were seized in December and January from the coastal town of Sirte in eastern Libya, now under the control of Islamist groups.

The video of the beheadings was posted online by Libyan jihadists who pledge loyalty to IS. A caption made it clear the men were targeted because of their faith.

"Egypt and the whole world are in a fierce battle with extremist groups carrying extremist ideology and sharing the same goals," President Sisi said.

The beheadings were described as "barbaric" by al-Azhar, the highly regarded theological institution which is based in Egypt.

The Coptic church said it was "confident" Egypt would exact retribution. Egypt has declared seven days of national mourning.

Libya has been in turmoil since 2011 and the overthrow of its then-leader, Col Muammar Gaddafi.

Since then, numerous other militia groups have battled for control.

The head of the US Defense Intelligence Agency warned last month that IS was assembling "a growing international footprint that includes ungoverned and under-governed areas", including Libya.

The five-minute video shows hostages in orange jumpsuits being marched along a beach, each accompanied by a masked militant. The men are made to kneel before they are simultaneously beheaded.

Most were from a poor village in Upper Egypt where some relatives fainted on hearing the news. A caption accompanying the video made it clear the hostages were targeted because of their faith. It referred to the victims as "people of the cross, followers of the hostile Egyptian church".

There's speculation here that Egypt may now consider airstrikes across the border. President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has said in the past that militants in Libya are a danger not just to Egypt, but also to the Middle East.

(BBC)

ANN.Az
Similar news
Similar news
China’s top diplomat Wang Yi to visit Moscow on Dec. 1–2
World 17:30
China’s top diplomat Wang Yi to visit Moscow on Dec. 1–2
When will Armenia complete its new constitution?
World 17:00
When will Armenia complete its new constitution?
Rubio gives assurances to European countries on Ukraine talks
World 15:00
Rubio gives assurances to European countries on Ukraine talks
Khamenei: US is “not worthy of negotiating with us”
World 12:27
Khamenei: US is “not worthy of negotiating with us”
ISW: A rapid Russian takeover of Donbas remains impossible
World 12:00
ISW: A rapid Russian takeover of Donbas remains impossible
Kazakh health minister assists passenger who fell ill on flight
World 11:27
Kazakh health minister assists passenger who fell ill on flight
Durov: EU uses child protection as a pretext for mass surveillance
World 10:30
Durov: EU uses child protection as a pretext for mass surveillance
Roskosmos reports launch pad damage at Baikonur after Soyuz-2.1a liftoff
World 10:00
Roskosmos reports launch pad damage at Baikonur after Soyuz-2.1a liftoff
Three Armenians sentenced to life over Crimea Bridge blast
World 16:30
Three Armenians sentenced to life over Crimea Bridge blast
Anews TV

Our official Youtube channel

Subscribe